Water: still clean and accessible to all?

Project description by stefano valentino
Open

What we want to do

Our team intends to investigate and recount the causes and effects of the water crisis and whether the counter-measures taken both by governments and by the world of business are effective or not.

Our goal is answering the two-folded crucial question: why does it happen that water is not available and safe to all, and to which extent public and private decision-makers are concretely acting to find remedies?

 

How we can work together

We’re constantly looking for specific issues, cases and initiatives concerning different countries and places across the planet.

Join our collaborative community. Contribute with information and comments on what happens around you. We’ll use your material to enrich our research and documentation activities.

Promote and support our common project, to help involving as many people as possible and gathering the resources needed to carry on our collective work.

Thanks to you and to all other participants, we’ll produce multimedia updates and regularly spread them through news outlets, in order to raise awareness among the general public in the long term.

 

Why the project is important

Water is a natural and free resource which it should be clean and accessible to everyone since it is the basis of our life. Yet, it is not always the case around the world.

First, economic activities exploit water resources at an unsustainable rate: it is estimated that 69% of total fresh water is used by agriculture and 22% by industry. This leads to a 91% of “blue gold” exploited by companies, while only 9% is available to people. The exploitation of water occurs mainly through the construction of dams which often have devastating effects on both the environment and the surrounding communities. 

Second, water resources are often polluted by urban sewage and agricultural and industrial runoffs.

Third, in many parts of the world, companies are pressuring governments to privatize water.

Last but not least, countries which control rivers headwaters or large reservoirs, especially those which hold enough water for export, have an extremely strong source of leverage over downstream water-scarce countries. Politically-driven water blackmailing creates tensions that, some times, lead to open conflicts.